Tuesday 22 June 2010

The Cellist of Sarajevo


The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway is a gorgeous find. Its one of those books that I saw on shelves of all the major bookstores about a year ago but filed away in the recesses of my mind under: Some other time when the furore has died down. I can’t say whether it’s the process of patient waiting till I am not surrounded by the buzz of a title before I read it, not unlike the way I waited for two years to finally see Evita and loved it. Or whether it’s the quality of the writing – but I loved this book. The structure, the topic, the plot details and the characterization were all unique learning points for me. To be told the story of a city at war with itself from four points of view that were well developed and empathetic was something lovely to behold. The language was simple but the evocative emotions and pictures painted by Galloway were what drew me in. Five stars in my book!


No comments: