Saturday 19 September 2009

Yummy Writing

I’ve been slow to write lately. Reason: Writer’s Brain. That’s what I call having too many thoughts in your head to think – all writing related of course! So, I’ve resorted to reading instead and I’ve been watching as many movies as possible – learning to appreciate them for their plot, storylines, editing, dialogue – stuff I never chose to notice before. I actually stay long enough after a movie to scan the credits now to see who wrote the screenplay. A whole world of Writing for Movies is opening up for me people. You read it here first!

My latest favourite is Julie & Julia. If you love food and you are a writer (as I do and am) you simply MUST see it. No excuses! Even if just for the opening scene with Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci sitting in a French restaurant and Streep’s character Julia Child savouring the first morsel of her dish. As a writer, I just love the visual that no words are needed when food hits the senses. I’m a big fan of keeping it simple. A simply delicious moment in the movie.

I’m a Meryl Streep fan though, that helps too. And I thought she was fabulous in this movie.

What I love most about the movie though is that it brings to life a woman’s struggle to blog – enter Julie Powell. After watching this movie, I wasn’t sure what to do first – google Julie Powell’s blog or Master the Art of French cooking! So I went for the easier choice - http://juliepowell.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html

2 comments:

alisha said...

I can't wait to see this movie!

Dan always makes sure we watch ALL of the movie credits, but usually I'm just looking for funny names and then pointing them out.

Do you read any other food blogs?

Jessica said...

No, you must suggest some to me if you know of any really delicious ones!

Actually you've just inspired me to search for some Indi-food ones.